Mission StatementThe Newport Public Education Foundation (NPEF), established in 1991, is an independent, non-profit 501(c)(3) whose mission is to improve the performance of Newport public school children by enhancing their educational opportunities and by building broad-based community support for quality public education.
We have done this in the past by providing teachers with grants to enhance their classroom activities, assisting the Newport Public Schools in rallying volunteers to read in the classrooms under the BOLD (Books Open Life’s Doors) program, and leading the campaign to raise more than $1 million for furniture, equipment and technology to ensure overall program enhancements at Newport’s historically preserved and renovated Thompson Middle School. We plan to continue in this tradition and expand into programs that support our teachers, students and schools.
In response to the needs of our changing district, NPEF has recently updated its strategic direction. We will focus on five key ideas:
- To support programs and services that address district-wide educational needs and enhance student learning
- To foster community volunteerism in the schools
- To encourage a community dialogue addressing school district-wide educational issues
- To raise funds to support our current programs and to establish a strong financial foundation that will permit future expansion
- To ensure broad community participation in the organization and to create an organizational structure optimizing execution of all goals.