Welcome to the RHS Mathematics Department!
Mathematics as a Way of Thinking
It is the philosophy of the Mathematics Department of Rogers High School that mathematics is essential to the education of all students and that all students can and must learn mathematics. We in the department feel that it is our responsibility to challenge all students to achieve high standards and to support them in this endeavor. It is therefore our obligation to encourage students at every academic level to recognize high quality work and strive to produce it.
In addition to the acquisition of a body of mathematical knowledge, successful completion of any RHS mathematics course requires the demonstrated ability to:
· Solve problems,
· Think critically,
· Communicate effectively in mathematics
· Connect mathematics with the real world,
· Work effectively in groups, and
· Use technology as a tool.
Although levels will vary from course to course, successful completion of any mathematics course at RHS requires the following:
· Regular and prompt class attendance,
· Consistent and timely completion of daily homework assignments,
· Maintenance of a notebook or binder
· Successful performance on performance-based assessment tasks, tests, quizzes, and exams.
“Of all pre-college curricula, the highest level of mathematics one studies in secondary school has the strongest continuing influence on bachelor’s degree completion.”“Finishing a course beyond the level of Algebra 2 more than doubles the odds that a student who enters post-secondary education will complete a bachelor’s degree program.”