Welcome to the Newport Area Career & Technical Center
The mission of the Newport Area Career + Technical Center, in partnership with students, parents, faculty, and sending communities is to provide all students with a quality education. The education provided is based on professionalism, high expectations of technical and academic excellence, in a work-based learning environment that will prepare our graduates with competencies for entry-level employment, post-secondary education, and to compete successfully in a rapidly changing technological world.
21st Century Career + Technical Education
Career and technical education provides students with the academic and technical skills, knowledge and training necessary to succeed in future careers and to become lifelong learners. Career and technical education prepares learners for the world of work by introducing them to workplace competencies and makes academic content accessible to students by providing it in a hands-on context. Career and technical education is at the forefront of preparing youth to succeed in fast-growing, high paid jobs in high growth industries around the country.
College + Career Readiness
The Newport Area Career and Technical Center (NACTC) provides its students with a unique experience through hands-on learning projects, student-run businesses and industry partnerships. In just four years, NACTC students have the opportunity to obtain employable skills, work experience, industry credentials and a diploma- positioning them for success in both college and career.
Click 2018-19 NACTC Video to hear from students, alumni and staff.
Click for the Career & Tech Program Overview.Why NACTC?
- Free and open to students from Middletown, Portsmouth, Tiverton, Little Compton and Newport
- Transportation is provided from your district at no additional cost
- Graduate with job skills, industry credentials and a diploma
- Acquire the hands-on experience that employers are looking for
- Build real-world experience through job shadow, internship and student-run business
- Participate in national competitions and win thousands of dollars in scholarship prizes
- Develop a professional network through industry partnerships
- Recent graduates attend Boston College, Yale University, Northeastern, Boston University, Harvard University, Brown University, Johnson & Wales, Parson’s School of Design, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Culinary Institute of America, Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Rhode Island and more
- Own and lead many well-known local businesses
- Have successful careers with competitive salaries
- Have gained full-time employment through program internship and apprenticeship opportunities