Welcome to Kindergarten Registration!
Who Should Register?
1. Birth Certificate (must be an original - usually with a seal). or valid passport
a. Children must be five years of age on or before September 1st for Kindergarten.
2. Proof of Residency, pick one of the following:
a. Current utility bill, not including cell phone bills
b. Current rental/lease, purchase agreement, or mortgage statement. A rental/lease agreement must include your landlord's name and contact number. Rental/lease and purchase agreements must be followed up at the school with your first utility bill.
c. If it is a 'living with' situation, the person you are living with (i.e. family, friend) is required to write a letter to the Newport School Department explaining the living situation. Proof of residency for the person you are living with is also required, an attendance officer will verify.
Click here to view RI Chapter 16-64 Residence of Children for School Purposes.3. Immunizations and physical exam records
a. Physical exam form is to be filled out by your child's physician.
b. Registration cannot be completed without proof of immunizations or an exemption letter.
4. Emergency contact information you will need doctor's name, address, and phone number. Also contact names and phone numbers for emergency contacts.
5. Students entering kindergarten will need a child outreach screening. A screening completed in the school year prior to entry into kindergarten is acceptable. Screenings by appointment are available most weekdays and during kindergarten registration held in the spring. Please call Child Outreach at 401-842-1900 Extension 22106 with any questions.
6. In order to complete the registration packet prior to your visit, click on 2017-2018 Registration Packet to download the packet to your computer. You will need Adobe Reader to complete the forms on your computer. To download Adobe Reader, click here. If you do not have a printer, the unsigned forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you arrive to register, we can print them for your signature.Registrations for Pre-K through Grade 4 are at the Technology office located at 109 Old Fort Rd directly across from the Career and Tech building. Registration will be by APPOINTMENT ONLY. To schedule an appointment online go to www.npsri.net/registration and click BOOK NOW! at the bottom of the page, or call 401 847-2100 ext. 279.Interpreters will be available at the kindergarten registration to assist speakers of Spanish. If you speak a language other that English or Spanish, or require other special accommodations to participate in kindergarten registration, please call Newport Public Schools, Office of Student Services at (401) 847-2100 Extension 250.